Sunday, November 21, 2010

Happy 14th!!!

My oldest just turned 14 yesterday!  The time flies by so quickly.

         (yes I know there are only 8 candles on the cake)

We got lucky with this one.  He is such a great kid and is making great decisions.  We are so proud of him.  Friday we took him out to eat at Five Guys.  He has a thing for Baconators (as he calls them).  Then he picked up a pair of jumping stilts.  Don't ask!  Just know that I was against them but was talked into them because he has been saving money for over a year.

#1 Rule:  Thou shalt not use jumping stilts unless your dad is home so that I don't have to take you to the ER.

#2 Rule:  Thou shalt not attempt flips on said stilts (thank you Uncle David)

#3 Rule:  (just added)  Thou shalt not attempt to jump down stairs lest you crash and scratch up your back

We had a brunch Saturday morning to celebrate his birthday and had his two best friends over and then spent the afternoon and evening visiting with family that are starting to arrive in town for the Thanksgiving holiday.

We really Love our family!!

Today Danny was ordained to the office of Teacher in the Aaronic Priesthood.  We are so proud of him for the choices he's making and that he is worthy of this great responsibility.  And he looked very handsome! 

WARNING - TEMPORARILY CHANGING SUBJECT ----

This summer we took a major ROAD TRIP and while visiting my brother in Independence, MO we attended a church meeting in a poorer area.  All of the boys were wearing suits while passing the sacrament.  They looked so great.  I thought it would be great if our Deacons would wear a suit to pass the sacrament.  Anyway I asked Danny if he would wear one were I to get him one and he said sure.  We just barely got around to shopping for one and he's worn it the last two Sundays.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, back to the ordaining.  I sent out an email to the family that would be in town this Sunday inviting them but not obligating them to come to his ordination.  A lot of them responded that they would be able to come.

Then yesterday we realized that a major snowstorm would be hitting our area on Sunday so I told Danny that most likely no one would be able to make it.   As predicted we woke up to a good 6 inches of snow and it continued to fall.  I was sitting in the lobby with the noise maker the last hour of church and noticed the snow had lightened up a bit so I thought well maybe we will get someone.  Then about 30 min. prior to the ordination the snow was REALLY coming down so I resigned myself to the fact that nobody would be able to make it up the canyon.

About 5 min. to the hour my brother came in with a couple of his kids.  I was so surprised and told him no one was coming because of the storm.  He wasn't sure what everyone was doing but they all started arriving one by one until we filled up a room.  It really meant a lot to us that so many would brave the treacherous road conditions to be there for Danny.  As our Bishop said "a righteous family tradition".

**  they didn't realize we had so much snow - it was clear on their side of the canyon **

1 comment:

Olsens R Us said...

I am so glad that we got to share Danny's special day with him. I loved what your Bishop said about righteous family traditions....I want our nieces and nephews to know that the things that are going on in their lives are important to us and how proud we are of them when they make good choices. Besides all of that- you make the trip down that canyon so many times when we are here in town, I was happy to make the trip up at least once :)
Love you!
Heather